What documentation can be used to indicate compliance with this standard?
- Guidance plan, policy, and procedure
- Assessment plan with a list of tests administered
- Written procedures for evaluation and placement of students with disabilities
- Promotional and recruitment materials
- Enrollment demographics
- Recruitment and admission policies
- Policy regarding services for Limited English Proficiency (LEP) students
- Calendar of counseling and pre-vocational activities
- Admission criteria
- Enrollment forms
- Enrollment demographics by class/program
- Examples of pre-enrollment counseling
- Examples of revised counseling materials or activities in response
to disproportionate enrollments
- IEP/504 policies and procedures
- Interest and ability assessments
What elements could be included in a non-discriminatory counseling program?
- Inform students and parents of their protections under the civil rights
- Analyze course enrollment data to identify disproportionate enrollment
of minority, women, and students with a disability
- Identify discriminatory practices in existing guidance/counseling
program policies and procedures
- Establish goals, objectives, and action steps in school district guidance
plans in response to identified career needs of minority, women, and
students with a disability
- Implement an ongoing career guidance program to meet students' needs
- Ensure effective communication with LEP students and students with disabilities
- Provide support through counseling and consultation with teachers, peers, parents, and students
- Assist students in such activities as resume writing, job interviewing,
decision making, financial aid applications, educational/career planning, and workplace acculturation
- Review guidance materials for stereotypes
- Identify female role models as well as role models from minority and from persons with disabilities
where they are traditionally underrepresented
- Coordinate counseling activities with other school and community resources
and agencies serving special population groups
- Support the establishment of an equity advisory council to obtain assistance
in implementing non-discriminatory counseling services
Source: US Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights. (1991). The
guidance counselor's role in ensuring equal educational opportunity. Author.
What are the essential elements of sex equity in materials?
Sex Equity in Curriculum Materials
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. (1993). Wisconsin model for sex equity in career and vocational education. Madison: Author.
Identifying Bias in Materials: NTO Look Self-Study
Illinois Center for Specialized Professional Support. (2004). The NTO Look self-study. Normal, Illinois: Illinois State University
Are the counseling practices of the school meeting the needs of students with disabilities?
Effective Counseling Information
American Vocational Association. (1993). The educator’s guide to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Alexandria, VA: Author.
Standard counseling practices
The Guidance Counselor's Role in Ensuring Equal Educational Opportunity
American Counselor’s Association Code of Ethics