Items bolded and underlined are drawn from the Illinois State Board of Education Evidence List.
What documentation can be used to indicate compliance with this standard?
- Published job announcements and advertisement (with continuous statement of non-discrimination)
- Personnel policies and procedures, including policies to do with hiring, advancement, screening committee rating systems, interviewing, and recruitment
- Affirmative action or equal employment opportunity plan adopted
by the Board
- Applications for positions (with continuous statement of non-discrimination)
- Salary schedule(s)
- Faculty assignment information by race/ethnic group, sex, and individuals with disabilities
- Employment handbook
What are the essential elements of employment policies and practices?
- Every aspect of the employment relationship is non-discriminatory.
- Pre-employment inquires concerning disability, marital, or parental
status is prohibited.
- Recruitment sources are regularly notified that the educational entity does
- Faculty salary scales and policy are based upon the conditions and
responsibilities of employment without regard to race, color, national origin,
sex, or disability.
- Provision of equal employment opportunities for teaching and administrative
positions to disabled applicants who can perform the essential functions of
- Reasonable accommodations for physical or mental
disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants unless it can be
demonstrated that such accommodations would impose an undue hardship.
- Non-faculty classification/compensation system is based upon evaluation of jobs and appropriate salary range placement of jobs according to working conditions and levels of employment responsibility.
What are some documents on which an equal opportunity statement should appear?
- Application for employment form
- Vacancy announcements and advertisements
- Recruitment letters
- Personnel web site and other related recruitment documents
- Newspapers, student handbooks,
and other school materials
What is a sample of an equal opportunity statement?
School District #4637 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age.
This statement appears on School District #4637 employment application forms:
All applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated without
regard to race, color, national origin, sex, or disability, except where such conditions are bona fide occupational requirements, or age.
The School District #4637 facilities are accessible to disabled applicants.
Non-discrimination in Employment Practices in Education
Example Affirmative Action Plan
How to develop an affirmative action plan