Development Education Advisory Committee Webinar
The Illinois Community College Council of College Presidents have prepared a response to the Partnership for the Assessment of Colleges and Careers. You can read their response at the following link:
What is Developmental Education? According to the 2013 Fact Sheet of the National Association for Developmental Education, Developmental education is a comprehensive process that focuses on the intellectual, social, and emotional growth and development of all students. Developmental education includes, but is not limited to, tutoring, personal/career counseling, academic advisement, and coursework.
What are the goals of Developmental Education?
• To provide educational opportunity for all individuals, appropriate to their needs, goals, and abilities
• To enhance the retention of students
• To ensure proper placement by assessing levels of academic preparedness
• To develop skills and attitudes necessary for the attainment of academic, career, and life goals
• To maintain academic standards while helping learners to acquire competencies needed for success in academic coursework
• To promote the development and application of cognitive and affective learning theory
• To facilitate partnerships between educators, employers, and the community at large
Why is Developmental Education important? About 60 percent of community college students enroll in at least one developmental education course, according to the Community College Research Center at Columbia University’s Teachers College. At four-year colleges, about 20 percent of freshman students enroll in remedial classes, according to Complete College America, a nonprofit in Washington, D.C., which has led efforts to reform remedial education. One study estimated the annual cost of college-level remedial help to students, colleges and taxpayers at close to $7 billion.
What initiatives are addressing this issue? A number of projects large and small are finding ways to make improvements to developmental education outcomes. Many of these projects are linked in this website library. Find them by selecting the Developmental Education Initiatives and Projects Tab.
Need technical assistance? This site provides the following for educators of developmental education students in Illinois community colleges:
- evidence-based practice
- notices of upcoming professional development
- links to pertinent websites
- links to professional development organizations.
Please use the tags on the right to search for particular topics.